All that talk about healthy pancakes.
Surely something so fluffy, fun and full of childhood memories cannot possibly be made healthy – they’re meant to be hiding chocolate chips, be covered in Maple Syrup or heaven forbid – topped with lemon and sugar.
Well, I’ve got news for you.
I’m not the biggest pancake fan around, but when I had to shoot this honey glazed bacon & nut stack of goodness, I decided it was too good not to share. Bacon isn’t for everyone, so if you’d rather something sweet, go for berries and fruit. Personally I truly believe that bacon makes everything better.
Yes, everything. Even pancakes.
- 1 egg
- 200ml full fat milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or grass-fed butter, plus extra for frying
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
Optional to serve:
- free-range bacon (2 rashes per person)
- organic mauka honey
- one banana
- fresh strawberries & blueberries
- full-fat natural greek yoghurt
- 1. Combine eggs, milk and oil in a mixing bowl.
- 2. Stir in baking powder, salt, almond flour, coconut flour until combined. No lumps!
- 3. Heat a generous amount of oil or batter in a frying pan over medium heat. Pour in some batter. When the surface begins to bubble, flip carefully and cook on the other side.
- 4. Repeat, until all the batter is used.
- 5. Honey Glazed Bacon Pancakes : layer three pancakes on a plate. Place 2-3 strips of bacon on top of the stack, and drizzle lightly with manuka honey. Top with crushed hazelnuts.
- 6. Banana & Berry Pancakes : layer three pancakes on a plate. Sliced half a banana and layer on top of the stack, top with a dollop of CoYo or full fat Greek yoghurt, and finish with a drizzle of honey.
This is so easy to whip up, has NO added sugar and works a treat on Sunday mornings. In my case, it semi-worked a treat close to midnight on a Friday after I finished this shoot, but to be completely honest I was pretty happy after the bacon.